PF Tax rules
There are tax rules for the Employees' Provident Fund (EPF) and below we have summarized some of them:
- EPF withdrawal shall be taxable in case the employee has not rendered continuous services for a period of at least 5 years.
- In case the employee changes his job, and EPF is transferred to the new employer, then this new employment period is also taken into consideration while calculating the continuous five years period.
- If the period of continuous service is less than 5 years, the total of employer’s contribution and interest earned thereon shall be taxable under the head “Income from Salaries”.
- The employee’s own contribution is eligible for tax exemption under Section 80C of the Income-tax Act.
Taxation on EPF Withdrawal
- On withdrawal before completing 5 years of service TDS is deducted
- TDS of 10% will be deducted on withdrawal if PAN is furnished and 34.608% if PAN isn't furnished
- However, no TDS will be deducted if the withdrawal amount is less than Rs. 50,000,
However, TDS isn't applicable for some of the below cases-
- TDS rule is not applied when the termination of the individual's service is out of their control. Company lockouts, retrenchments and employee layoffs etc. can be some of the reasons
- TDS is also not applicable when the service cannot be continued due to serious medical conditions like physical disability or mental disability
- Mutual Fund Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- ELSS Calculator
- Mutual Fund Risk Calculator
- Mutual Fund Retirement Planning Calculator
- EMI Calculator
- 18 Best Lifestyle Credit Cards in India 2023: Features and Benefits of Lifestyle Credit Cards
- Gold leasing: Everything you need to know
- A Comprehensive Guide on How to check your Credit Score
- The Complete Guide on What is Digital Rupee in India & How It Works
- The 13 Best Credit Cards offering Complimentary Railway Lounge Access 2023
- Top 26 Credit Cards in India offering Priority Pass Membership- Complete Guide on Priority Pass
- The Complete Guide on DreamFolks & the Top Credit Cards in India offering DreamFolks Membership
- 6 Reasons Why People Are Applying for a Small Loan
- PAN Card (Permanent Account Number) in India – Eligibility, Apply, & Advantages of PAN Card
- 13 Best Axis Bank Credit Cards in India 2023